What is Trauma and who would benefit from the program?
Sometimes when a patient comes to CHEO with a serious injury – perhaps from a bad car accident or a big fall – they need extra care. CHEO has a large team of trauma experts who have special training and experience in treating life-threatening injuries and saving lives.
The “trauma team” can move quickly to get all the medical resources needed to treat your child and ensure the best possible outcome. We have access to experts in a wide range of surgical fields, each of whom specializes in treating children and understands their special needs. And we have trained trauma nurses to manage these patients, “following” them throughout their treatments and rehabilitation to ensure that all of their complex medical needs are met.
The trauma program also has strong research, education and advocacy activities, all with the goal of helping to keep kids safe and out of the hospital. CHEO provides trauma care to patients from Eastern Ontario, Western Quebec, parts of Northern and Southeastern Ontario as well as Baffin Island. CHEO has an agreement with the province of Quebec to provide pediatric trauma care for the patients in the Outaouais catchment area.
History of the CHEO Trauma Program
Although CHEO has always treated pediatric trauma patients, the hospital was designated as a Lead Trauma Hospital by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care in January 2000. Since that time CHEO has developed a comprehensive Trauma Program which encompasses key areas such as:
- Clinical trauma care supported by evidenced based practice
- Trauma patient case management
- Trauma Team Activation Process
- 24/7 Trauma Team Leader coverage
- Trauma Program infrastructure
- A Trauma Registry with data submission to the Provincial Trauma Registry
- Trauma care quality improvement Injury prevention
- Trauma research
- Trauma education including a new initiative of trauma outreach using CHEO Telehealth web-based service
The Trauma Program Vision, Mission and Values statement follows:
Our VISION is…
- To make a difference in the lives of children, youth and families by ensuring best injury outcomes and promoting a safe community.
Our MISSION is…
- To provide exceptional trauma care for children, youth and their families within a multicultural environment,
- To provide leadership in regional pediatric trauma care,
- To expand the understanding and quality of pediatric trauma care through research, education and advocating for best practice,To promote injury prevention
Our VALUES are…
Members of the Team
- Ms Chris Clement, Operations Director
- Dr. Ahmed Nasr, Physician Medical Operations
- Ms. Liane Boisvert RN, Trauma/Injury Prevention Coordinator
- Wietske Dykstra, Trauma Data Analyst/Injury Data Coordinator
- Christina Toppozini RN, Trauma Educator