How to Make a Referral
We accept referrals from physicians and other health care providers.
We provide assessment,
diagnosis, counselling and
follow-up for individuals who:
- Have a known or suspected
genetic condition (including genetic syndromes, skeletal dysplasias,
cardiogenetic disorders, connective tissue disorders, ocular genetic
conditions, genetic forms of hearing loss, genetic skin conditions, and
- Have single or multiple
- Have developmental delay, intellectual disability and/or autism with syndromic features (eg. dysmorphic features, congenital anomalies)
- Have a personal or family
history of a genetic condition (such as cystic fibrosis, hemochromatosis
and Huntington’s disease among many others)
- Have a personal and/or family history of cancer
- Are of an ethnic origin in
which certain inherited disorders may be more common
- Have had a previous child with
a malformation or chromosome abnormality
- Have a positive screen result
for Down syndrome or trisomy 18 in a pregnancy
- Have abnormal ultrasound
findings in a pregnancy
Genetics Referral Form
Regional Genetics Program, CHEO
401 Smyth Road
Ottawa, ON K1H 8L1
If your patient is pregnant, please fax the referral along with a report indicating her blood group, or call 613-737-7600 ext 3605.
Important information to include in your referral:
- Physician’s full name and phone number.
- Physician’s number
- Patient’s name, address, and phone number.
- Relevant family history (i.e. who is affected, exactly how they are related to the patient).
- Appropriate medical records (i.e., pathology reports, test results) of the patient and/or affected relatives.
Services are provided in English and French only. Interpretation services for other languages can be arranged by special request.