For your child, the most important part of their healthcare team is their family members and support system. Being prepared for your visit to the hospital will help you be more relaxed and more available to help provide emotional support for your child during the recovery process.
The entire CHEO team is committed to making every child or youth’s hospital stay as pleasant, comfortable and safe as possible. You’ll find answers to all your questions about your next hospital visit or stay in this section.
Visiting Hours and PoliciesWe want to protect our patients and make sure they get well quickly. Our Visitors Policy balances family centred care with the need to prevent the spread of infection. We appreciate your help with this.
Who can visit patients on the wards at CHEO?
- Each patient may have no more than two visitors at one time.
- Visiting hours are between 3:00 pm and 8:00 pm each day, including weekends and holidays:
- However, parents, caregivers, brothers and sisters can visit anytime during the day (with no more than two visitors at one time). And one parent may stay 24 hours a day. Let the Charge Nurse know the names of the immediate family.
Allergy alert!Some of our patients and staff have severe allergies, so please remember:
- Do not bring nuts, nut products or latex products (like balloons)
- Avoid using scented products like perfume, cologne, after shave, body sprays or hair care products.
Preventing the spread of infections at CHEO
We want to make sure our patients get well quickly. Please help us prevent the spread of infections by:
- Staying home if you are sick (a fever, cough, runny nose, sore throat, diarrhea, a new rash or are feeling ill)
- Cleaning your hands often with soap and water or alcohol-based hand gel. You must wash with soap and water if you can see dirt or if there is mucous on your hands.
What about clinic appointments, day treatment or tests?
Each patient can have up to two parents or caregivers with them during clinic appointments. Please keep brothers and sisters at home.
What about Emergency Department Visits?
Our Emergency Department is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. As you can imagine, it’s a very busy place. With so many people coming and going, we must be really careful to prevent the spread of infections. Please remember that only two parents or caregivers can be with a child or teen in our Emergency Department. Please keep brothers and sisters at home.
What to bring - a caregiver's packing list
CHEO mom and blogger, Chloe Girvan, wrote a helpful article on what parents should bring with them for a hospital stay. We encourage you to review it.
We really appreciate your help as we work to keep CHEO a healthy place for all children and youth.